Monday, July 23, 2007

longing,swords,crow

Another word from Foyles Philavery, which keeps circling in my mind, is:
groak verb, to look or stare at lovingly, especially at someone who is eating. "A very uncommon word", writes the compiler, "which I was unable to find in any dictionary. This is an ancient art still widely and ably practiced by pet dogs everywhere."

I watch as a mother and two small boys cross on a zebra. Each of the boys has a plastic sword, with a bright, silver blade and a golden hilts. They wave the swords energetically and proceed along the pavement, looking for someone to fight.

In the Pantiles, where usually pigeons look for crumbs amid the feet of visitors, today, in the drizzle, a hefty crow waddles to and fro. He usually hops but occasionally flaps a lazy wing, to get from point to point. As crows often do, he gives the impression of owning the place.

3 comments:

Lucy said...

'Groak' is one I must remember!

Rashmi said...

If someone told me they groaked at me, I'd definitely have assumed it was an offence! until now, that is...

Unknown said...

I think of the way a dog bulges its eyes, and exposes the whites with the strain, in apparent longing for something someone else is eating.