Friday, November 30, 2007

looking up, different, landing

It's always worth while looking up, provided there isn't a hole in front of you. Looking up, I see the network of telephone wires, surrounding a telephone pole, like the start of a spiders web, the lines leading out from the centre to people's houses.

In Barclay's bank there is a television set to keep people occupied while they queue. It is silent but subtitles written at talking speed, help to keep you informed. As I watch a politician talking about the latest political donations scandal, the subtitles read: "It's a different ball dish, a different ball dish."The subtitles correct themselves: "It's a differentball game", but the variation on the cliche strikes me as more appealing.

I like the way magpies land with a bounce and a little run.

3 comments:

Lucy said...

I remember years ago hearing Roy Jenkins on the radio, and I was quite convinced, as were the people with me, that he said that he and his party were 'heading for a big grapefruit'. In fact it was 'a big breakthrough', but the grapefruit sounded much more interesting and even apposite...

Unknown said...

I love that Lucy. What a pompus fellow Roy Jenkins could be!

Unknown said...

Or should I say pompous, but, on reflection, I prefer pompus.