Monday, November 19, 2007

squirrel, daft, expression

A squirrel runs down the steps of the fire escape opposite. It is as though the steps were constructed for its use.

People must think I am daft as I pick the plane leaves from the pavement of Mount Pleasant and make them into a small bouquet. Why am I doing it? Ah!

"I'm going to peel a pomegranate," I say to Heidi. Then I think it sounds like one of those expression that form like crystals in the language. To phrases like "run the gauntlet", "pop the question", "jump the gun", perhaps one day will be added "peel the pomegranate". What would "peel the pomegranate" mean? Getting down to the nitty-gritty, reducing something to its basic elements, I suppose.

4 comments:

tristan said...

"... i'm a pheasant plucker's son ..." old cornish song

tristan said...

link to pheasant plucking lyrics

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~mentor01/song.htm

Cady May said...

"peel the pomengranate" reveal a things complicated, faceted interior...like "stare into the fly's eyeball"

Clare said...

I think it means to open an ordinary exterior to reveal a bejewelled interior.