Wednesday, February 17, 2010

waterfall, chiming, bath






















Vents and exits 10. Water descends among the butresses from a central gutter on the roof of  King Charles the Martyr.

I am not one of those who affect not to care what time it is.There are two chiming clocks in the house, which I like to see and hear working. I am glad when, as they do this morning,  they both chime at once, and at the same time as the BBC time signal. Though, I have to admit that it is unusual.

A handsome, heavy duty wok, which proved too heavy for its original purpose, has been in the garden now for almost year. In the summer, it overflowed with dark red  nasturtiums. Empty through the winter except for rain water, which has collected there, it is appropriated to day, as a bird bath and drinking fountain, by a visiting black bird.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

marja-leena said...

I continue to enjoy all you images of drains and vents and think I may have to capture some on our next trip to the UK! What building is this, to be called 'King Charles the Martyr'?

I love the mental images of the wok, first with summer flower, then as a winter bird bath.

CC said...

I to love mental images of the planter
then bird bath.

HKatz said...

I also enjoyed the image of the wok in the garden, home of dark red flowers and thirsty birds.

I'm curious about the 1880 with the Star of David in the photo? Looks like some interesting history (and from that time period the only prominent British Jew who comes to mind at the moment is Disraeli).

Unknown said...

Charles I, he who was executed in 1649, was made a saint by the Church of England after the Restoration. The chapel as it was then, (referred to as "the courtiers chapel"), was dedicated to King Charles the Martyr in 1684 to offset the Puritain Mount Ephraim and Mount Sion, names conferred on two of the town's hills, by dissenting developers.
It was consecrated as a church in 1878.

I don't think the Star of David has anything to do with Disraeli, who was baptised as a child and would not, if he had not been a member of the Church of England, been able to take his seat in the House of Commons, a prohibition, which, at the time, applied equally to Catholics. More likely, the star finds its way on to the drain pipe as a masonic symbol.

M-L We walked past King Charles the Martyr on our way to the Pantiles on the day of your visit.

marja-leena said...

Thanks for the info and oh, yes, I remember that church! We talked so much that I never got a closer look at it.... next time?

HKatz said...

"I don't think the Star of David has anything to do with Disraeli..."

I didn't think it had anything to do with him either; that was a mental digression on my part.

"... who was baptised as a child and would not, if he had not been a member of the Church of England, been able to take his seat in the House of Commons"

True, though his opponents in particular were very vocal about his religious origins, from what I've read; didn't want to let anyone forget it...