Sunday, July 15, 2012

lavender Shakespeare morning glory


The colour of lavender. Pastel. Blue and purple and some white on display in Calverley Ground. Worth a diversion  in the direction of the former rose garden in the sunken area beneath what used to be the bowling green. So much better than the formal arrangement of bedding plants in so many public gardens.

"Is your television working now", I ask an elderly lady who had problems after the  recent nation-wide switch to digital. "Yes," she says and goes into detail about how helpful the young man was who came to adjust it. "But there's nothing much worth seeing" I mention Shakespeare - Henry lV  "part 2 was on last night at peak viewing time. She curls her lip and turns away. A good conversation stopper. I make a note to keep it in reserve for emergencies.

In the Spring Geoff gave me some morning glory seeds in an old tobacco carton. Every one of the seeds germinated. I set them out in a flower bed so that they could climb up some roses and other shrubs, but as I knew the scaffolders followed by decorators were coming, I transferred some to a large clay pot in case the others wouldn't survive. This precaution proved a wise one. The plants in the bed have been trampled into oblivion but those in the pot are flourishing. I make a pyramid with bamboo round which  the tendrils of the seedlings are already  winding with almost unseemly enthusiasm.

2 comments:

marja-leena said...

I don't mean to turn this into a garden blog though I do seem to comment on that subject often. I love nasturtiums and used to grow them in gardens of previous homes. Here, I have no luck as black aphids destroy them. And this property is about a mile from our previous one. Strange, eh?

Unknown said...

In my limited experience blackfly as we call them are a feature of changing climate conditions rather than precise locality. Some years they arrive others they don't. Encourage ladybirds: they eat them.