Monday, November 19, 2012

poseur phatic don't ask


A cat poses on a wall inviting paparazzi. Cats with round faces have lived in this road for years. Though they are of different colours I am convinced that they must be related. Not all of them have orange eyes.

 Fast talking mavens know the emotional values which underlie phatic forms of communication. In one article today I come across two words which I have to look up in the dictionary. Hence this sentence which I put together so that I can make use of them both. Maven is sometimes spelt mavin.

As I pass a neighbour I remind myself not ask how he is in case he tells me.

5 comments:

Ellena said...

Bad enough when they tell us without being asked.

CC said...

Love the cat!!

Roderick Robinson said...

An unusual expression: cat looks pugnacious, seems to have taken a few blows to the nose. And resents them.

A possible epitaph for his tombstone: Doing as well as can be expected.

Unknown said...

There was another cat with these distinctive features which gave the impression of living a few doors away from this one. It was black though.

Unknown said...

There was another cat with these distinctive features which gave the impression of living a few doors away from this one. It was black though.