Sunday, April 14, 2013

Paper flower, volunteers and green omelet




































Remains of a sticker on lamp post becomes a flower.

Twenty or so people are at work on what was a shrubbery at the entrance to Calverley Ground. They are volunteers, Friends of Calverley Ground, planting a flower bed intended to charm throughout the year, containing grasses and perennials like cornus, with its bright red stems and euphorbia. The Council provides plants chosen by the Friends and the friends provide the labour. It is always a pleasure to walk home through the park. Now it will have added interest.

In the Farmers Market a stand offers cakes and tarts, sweet and savoury. Something catches my eye. "It is a green Russian omelet", says the  young woman stall holder. It resembles the frittata, an Italian omelet, which I sometimes make with courgettes. But this uses spinach and  bright green herbs and looks intriguing. A project to cook something similar forms in my mind.

5 comments:

Ellena said...

Your flower looks much better than the bird with head tucked under his wings that I saw first.

Roderick Robinson said...

... and thereafter metamorphoses into a secondhand poppadum.

Unknown said...

I sometimes wonder what people think when they see me photographing stains, peeling paint and torn, weather worn stickers on walls. He must be potty. And perhaps he is, but I believe that if I searched the archives I would find an interesting collection of images.

Ellena said...

I think good thoughts and realize that I should open my eyes more when being out and about. Maybe I'll have more to show when photography has evolved to the point where odors can be pictured.

The Crow said...

Ah, now if you just add some cured pork with those eggs, you'd have Dr. Suess' famous (infamous?) Green Eggs and Ham!